Saturday, February 14, 2009

The heart of the matter

Dispatch story

"We're getting free sidewalks and streetlights. It's going to increase the value of our property."

Free? Really? How? This is how freedoms are slowly given away to the government. The empty promise of getting something for "free".

The thoughts of getting new sidewalks and a wider road are good, an improvement. However, nothing is free.

Did all this (getting something for "free" thinking) start with General Mills putting prizes in the bottom of our cereal boxes when we were kids? You'd think that after all these years of buying our own cereal boxes for our own kids, we'd realized that someone had to pay for the cereal.

1 comment:

  1. Now really, after all my years you have burst my bubble. I mean, look here now, I have gotten many valuable free things. The polluted air that I breathe, the right to breathe free second hand smoke until recently. That was not free of tar and nicotine, but definitely free. The right of government to freely tax 40 per cent of my income and give it away to others for free.

    Listening to all the bitching and complaining of things gone awry? That's free. Hearing the truth is still free except I don't know for how much longer that will go on. I believe Ohio is going to make people pay taxes for listening to Direct TV now.

    Genrally nothing is for free except for taxation and death, and they are working on assuring that future generations are never free from paying taxes. We should have been much smarter as a Nation, but we're not. When the future arrives tomorrow, maybe the citizens will throw off this suppressive government and start up a new one do you suppose?

    If I'm still around, count on me to show up with my musket.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive